Vehicles in Barn
Granger Buckboard, Acc. #1977.65
Early buckboards, which were very simple in design, consisted of a single seat mounted on a board and set on an axle with no springs. Later, some buckboard models were furnished with springs, as is this example. With the addition of a suspension system, the buckboard became a much more comfortable utility vehicle for trips over rough country roads. This buckboard was owned by Antoinette Granger, who was the last family member to live in the Homestead. Judge Cribb remembers riding on it with Lafayette Cooper, Miss Granger's driver, delivering food baskets to needy families at holiday time.
c. 1880, maker unknown
Granger Runabout, Acc. #1977.66
Owned by Antoinette Granger, similar to a Corning wagon, which was made by Brewster. This runabout was a general utility vehicle.
John Reznor, Canandaigua, NY c. 1900
Portland Cutter (Granger), Acc. #1977.42
The term "cutter" was used to refer to a light winter vehicle which was one-seated. This style was first developed early in the 19th century near Portland, Maine by Peter Kimball & Sons. The design was later copied by many carriage makers all over the US. The Portland Cutter became a very popular winter vehicle, due in part to its low cost. This example belonged to the Granger family, and was used by Antoinette Granger well into the 1920s. This cutter has a lined enameled top which can be raised and lowered from the inside by means of a metal handle.c.1890, maker unknown
Portland Cutter, Acc. #2000.003
Similar to the Granger family's Portland Cutter, this vehicle was repainted and reupholstered in 2003. It also features a mechanism that enables the driver to raise and lower the top. Donated to the Carriage Museum by Mrs. David Cross of Honeoye, NY
c. 1900, maker unknown
Cribb Buckboard with Trolley Bell, Acc. # 2004.1.6
As a young man, Joe Cribb rode in Miss Granger's buckboard with Lafayette Cooper to run errands in town. Most buckboards were a very rough ride because they did not have springs. The bed of the vehicle was made of long planks that bridged between the front and the back axles. When the vehicle hit a bump or rut, the boards flexed or bucked, hence the name, "Buckboard." Joe purchased an old surrey undercarriage and built his own buckboard, "just like Miss Granger's." Several years later, he got a trolley bell when the trolley lines stopped running. He mounted it under his vehicle so that he could make it ring by hitting the striker with his heel. It had a loud ring to get people's attention.
Cut Under Road Wagon, Acc. #1977.55
This is a sporting type vehicle, probably used by a young man from a more aff1uent family for horse shows and daily outings. The vehicle was restored in 1976, and is finished in natural wood which was "quarter sawn" to show off the beauty of the grain.
Brewster, c. 1890
Albany Sleigh, Acc. #1977.35
Swell bodied sleigh of the "Albany" style, though it may have been made elsewhere.
c.1870, maker unknown
Kimble Break, Acc. # 2004.1.3
This break was used for Sunday outings or special events by upper-middle or upper class families. There is a folding footman's seat hidden under the rear seat. Two or four horses would have pulled this vehicle. If two horses pulled, one footman or groom would be used; if four, two grooms would be needed. Also included is the original wrench for the wheels. The donor, Hon. Joseph W. Cribb, purchased this break from the Lorenzo Estate in Cazenovia, NY. Lorenzo is now a NY State Historic Site where the public may visit their Federal style house museum and carriage exhibit.
Kimble Brothers, Chicago, IL, c. 1875
Studebaker Gig, Acc. # 2004.1.1
A gig is a high, two-wheeled vehicle, typically owned and used by the middle and upper classes.The high position keeps the passengers above the mud of the road, and allows the driver to see over the back of the horse. The padded backs on the seats are called "lazy backs" and can be removed. The curved shafts are reinforced with metal underneath and have moveable pegs, called "stops" that help to position the harness correctly on the shafts. Addison Wilbur, overseer for Mary Clark Thompson at Sonnenberg, Canandaigua, once owned this vehicle and later gave it to Joe Cribb.
Studebaker, South Bend, Indiana, c. 1890
Private or Park Drag, Acc. #1977.59
Private drags resembled the commercial coaches but were used exclusively for private coaching, especially picnics and race track outings. These vehicles required four or six well-matched horses to move them. This coach could seat fourteen people: four inside, eight on the top, and two grooms on the back. In fine weather, it was the servants who rode inside. The interior is upholstered with Moroccan leather and the boot contains zinc-lined boxes for food and a drawer for silverware. The windows have two insert panels. The use of the solid panels indicated the owner was not aboard.
Note the ‘yard of ale’ by the driver’s seat.This was given to the driver while the owner and friends visited the local tavern in order to keep him with the break. There is also a horn that was played as the group entered a village to alert people to their coming (prepare the ale and a change of horses).
Healey Co., NYC, c. 1900
Stanhope Gig, Acc. #2004.1.4
The Stanhope gig was used extensively in England and in the eastern United States. Note the black patent leather dash and fenders, the bright yellow pin-striping, and the spindles around the back of the seat.
c. 1890, maker unknown
Basket Phaeton, Acc. # 1977.19
The pony basket phaeton, or "morning trap," was popular with women because of its light weight and ease of handling. Used as a summertime vehicle, it cost about $400 new and was made of natural wicker. This vehicle was called a "Cut Under New Bristol Basket Phaeton." This vehicle was originally owned by the Addison Wilbur family of Canandaigua.
Henry Hooker Co., New Haven, CT, c.1900
Road Cart, Acc. #2004.1.10
This road cart, or gig, has bright red body, undercarriage, shafts and wheels with black pinstriping. It features tan corduroy upholstery with a padded backrest. Joe Cribb purchased this cart along with the Red Cutter in 1928.
c. 1900, maker unknown
Eureka Novelty Wagon, Acc. # 2004.1.5
This small peddler's vehicle has advertisements painted on the side panels on both sides. The back has lids that lift for storage. Joe Cribb bought this wagon at an auction, thinking it was from Rochester, NY, and did not see the sides well until after the gavel hit and he was the highest bidder. It is, in fact, from Rochester, New Hampshire.
c. 1890, maker unknown
Red Portland Cutter, Acc. # 2004.1.1
Joe Cribb purchased both the red cutter and red road cart in 1928 when he was 14 years old. He paid $25.00 for both. He bought them shortly after he started boarding his first horse, "Topsy," in Antoinette Granger's barn. After a good snowstorm, before the roads were plowed, Joe would take this cutter out for a quick trip down Main Street in Canandaigua.
c.1900, maker unknown
Phelps Sleigh, Acc. #1977.45
The earliest American sleighs, often referred to as "country" sleighs, were handcrafted, box-like vehicles on runners. This example is believed to have belonged to Oliver Phelps. Phelps and his partner, Nathaniel Gorham, purchased large tracts of land in western New York and established a land office in Canandaigua. Gideon Granger came to Canandaigua originally to settle Phelps' estate.
This is the oldest sleigh in the collection, unusual for its curved design body.
1810, maker unknown
Piano Box Top Buggy, Acc. #1977.80
Introduced in the 1850's, the piano box buggy became one of the most popular vehicles in the country. This vehicle was considered to be the "Model T" of the horse drawn era in the US. The average price for a mass-produced buggy such as this was $35. This example has black painted running gear with double fine line striping in red. The folding top provided some protection from sun and bad weather.
HA. Moyer, Syracuse, NY, date unknown
Ladies' Buckboard, Acc. # 1977.079
Essentially a country vehicle, the buckboard often featured a natural wood finish. It was a light and sturdy vehicle for rough roads. A true buckboard had no springs, but relied on the movement of the front to rear floorboards. This vehicle has a patented torsion spring that provides a very nice ride. It has a removable seat in the rear to provide extra cargo space, and leather upholstery.
George W Beeman, Canandaigua, NY, c.1900
Side Curtain Rockaway, Acc. #1977.14
The Rockaway, which developed from any earlier vehicle called a coachee, was an original American design. Because of the covered driver's seat, the Rockaway was considered representative of a "democratic" society. The light, or "curtain" Rockaway was equipped with leather curtains, rather than glass windows, which could be rolled down to protect those inside from the weather.
This particular vehicle was originally owned by Brigham Hall, a hospital for mental and nervous disorders in Canandaigua.
D.M Lane Sons, Philadelphia, PA, c.1895
Meat Wagon, Acc. # 1977.50
This delivery wagon was owned by a butcher in Avon, NY. named O.D. Dooer. An account book found in the vehicle details Dooer's meat sales between 1882 and 1884. Included in the design of this butcher's shop on wheels were a cutting board and a drawer for knives.
c.1890, maker unknown
Victoria Sleigh, Acc. #1979.213
The term "Victoria" refers to a style of vehicle body popularized in England by Queen Victoria. This example was coachman-driven, and used primarily for park driving and formal calling. Compartments in the floor hold soapstone foot warmers that would be heated beforehand in the fireplace or stove. There is a jump seat which folds out from under the driver's seat for children's use.
c.1890, maker unknown
Wire-Wheeled Buggy, no Acc. #
Recently restored, this carriage with wire wheels was used by Charles T. Moran (1865-1951) of Avon, NY. He ran the Palace Livery stable, and worked at the New Sanitarium (now the Avon Inn). He would carry guests to and from the train station to the Inn and also to Avon Downs.
Charles F Saul, Syracuse, NY, c.1900
Rolling Chair, Acc. #1977.23
Not a horse-drawn vehicle, this chair was used to push tourists on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City.
Shill, Atlantic City, NJ, c.1905
Dropfront Phaeton, Acc. #1977.29
The lowered floor of this phaeton, which was purchased from a dentist's widow in Dansville, NY, created a low-hung vehicle with both easy access and graceful appearance. The vehicle's light and ornate running gear gives evidence of its Civil War era date.
Noble, Stout & Bradley, Dansville, NY, c.1865
Runabout or Road Wagon, Acc. #1977.31
This vehicle, made by the Reznor firm in Canandaigua, is referred to as a "Corning" road wagon. It is, like the runabouts, a one seat utility vehicle, and is distinguished from other styles of road wagon by the lowered sides in front and the stick rail around the rear of the box. It is also called a "village cart."
John Reznor, Canandaigua, NY, c.1900
Portland Cutter, Acc. #1977.36
This is another Portland cutter design from Judge Cribb's collection.
J.P. Homan & Son, Plainfield, NJ, c.1890
Baby Sleigh, Acc. # 2002.119
Child's cutter used to push a small child or baby in winter. According to the donor, the cutter was made by James Nighan in 1914 as a Christmas present for his grandson, Edmund Nighan, Honeoye, NY. Used by the Nighan family through 1948.
James Nighan, Honeoye, NY, c.1914
Albany Sleigh, Acc. # 1977.46
Albany sleighs were winter vehicles characterize by graceful, curving lines. This "swell body" style of sleigh was originated by James Goold of Albany. Note the brass eagle ornaments. This example is a "six-seat half top" model in which passengers sat "vis-a-vis", or face to face. Bobs are probably not original. It was originally owned by Brigham Hall, a hospital in Canandaigua.
James Goold & Co., Albany, NY c.1890.
Whitechapel Wagon, Acc. #1977.18
In 1872 Brewster & Co., produced a vehicle that combined the body from a two-wheeled English cart called a Whitechapel with the four-wheeled undercarriage of a road wagon. The resulting "Whitechapel Wagon" soon came to be called a surrey. The later, fully developed form of surrey had two seats and was a very popular family vehicle.
C.P. Kimball & Co., Chicago, 1L, c. 1885
Ward's Veterinary Ointment Wagon, Acc. # 1977.51
This is an example of a variety of vehicles called "business wagons" which were fitted out according to the needs of the individual merchants. These vehicles were the lightest of the delivery wagons, and many were used well into the 20'h century. This vehicle was last used by Burr Ward of Livonia, to distribute his homemade veterinary medicine.
c.1880, maker unknown
Three Seat Surrey, Acc. #1977.22
A variation of the popular two seat surrey, this vehicle has a cut under body, a canopy top with fringe, and brakes. It was owned by Brigham Hall in Canandaigua, and used for summer outings.
H.A. Moyer, Syracuse, NY, 1900
Portland Cutter, Acc. #1977.33
This cutter is unusual because it has doors. Doors were usually seen only in bigger, more expensive vehicles.
Lull Carriage Co., Kalamazoo, MI, c.1900